Friday, September 26, 2014

Jeter, Thanks for the Memories




This has been tough to write about. I literally have been putting this off for quite some time now and it just get's harder and harder everyday goes by with every hour, minute and second goes by that I don't think how this day is coming. The day that we bid farewell to The Captain, Derek Jeter. 
Words are never enough to describe it. I feel happy that we wants to move on from baseball. He does deserve everything that he has come to him and ahead of him. He is one of the greatest players to have played the game. 

He may not be a home run hitter like a Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth, but my god, when it comes to tie ball game at the bottom of the ninth inning and Jeter is up, you know for sure that he is Mr. Clutch when it counts.

The game Thursday night was the moment that prove who Jeter was, that when in a time to win the game, he's there ready to finish it. 

I grew up watching Jeter probably since I was not even ten years old. I remember seeing him make that amazing catch that he did in one game back in 2001 where he just ran and jumped caught the foul ball and landed in the stands. When I saw that with my grandparents and mother I was just blown away. 

I remember the one game back when the Red Sox and Yankees were playing in the Playoffs in 2004, Jeter catches the ball just before pasting the foul line and couldn't stop running and just dive into the stands. That was a moment there.

Since then the New York Yankees have become my American League team to root for as I'm an original fan of the Chicago Cubs. 

I can't image what it would be like when today, if he plays at Fenway Park, what it would be like when he is finally gone from baseball. I guess that's what others before us might have said when Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Banks, Koufax just to name a few when they played their last game. 

When the new season comes, there won't be #2 there at shortstop anymore. A new era will begin for the Yankees and for MLB, who will be the next Jeter. 

That's another question for another day or until next season starts. 

Jeter has been the perfect image for MLB, the perfect role model that we have looked up to and just hopefully we could play like him. 

This year with all of these commercials of his thanks #2 or #Re2pect, the Gatorade and Nike ads that has us all in tears (don't deny it, it really did) that it shows us that even if we are not a Yankee fan, there's a player that we can relate to in so many ways. 

I thought that that moment at the end of Thursday game was a moment that we will never forget. I had another idea for what would be a great moment to send Jeter off. 

It's the bottom of the ninth with two outs and when the third strike is called out, we see  both Rivera, Andy and Jorge come out towards Jeter and give him a hug. As they hugged, they tell him it's finally time and at that moment they walk off the field. 

Just to let you know that I've thought about that this whole season. I really think it's a great idea. It sure got me emotional just thinking about it. 

As I said before, there are no words to describe the lost of Derek Jeter. He is just a simple guy, who day in and day out works his butt off trying to win games and championships for the town that he represented. 

He is a man that puts his fans and team first besides himself. He is the most unselfish ball player that has ever played the game of baseball. 


I have not doubt that he will make it into the Hall of Fame. he is a first ballot, no questions asked.

 He is literally The Captain..Derek Jeter. Jeter thanks for all the great moments and memories that you have given us for 20 years. Every game if it wasn't a good one or not you play til the game is over. You are literally an inspiration to us all and in that mind we thank you. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment