Wednesday, May 20, 2015

David Letterman: A Late Night Icon



As the hours countdown to minutes and those minutes countdown to seconds, we're not that far away from saying goodbye to a true late night icon, David Letterman. 

David Letterman is a name that's been part of my life since I could really understand what Late Night was all about. I was around eight or nine-years of age when I first saw Letterman and the first impression that I got was that he looked a bit like my grandfather. Okay, maybe not to some but to the naked eye they do look alike.

When I first watched him, his jokes sounded angry and very sarcastic, but it was funny. He can make a joke into a conversation and it would be funny. If a bit doesn't go well, he can make it funny. 

I've watched the Late Show during my childhood. I always stayed up til watch the Top Ten List or even when he was making funny of Dr. Phil and he had a segment called Dr. Phil's Words of Wisdom and it would just be hilarious. Hell, I would tape it and memorized it for class the next day and yes I did say what they played.

His style of comedy help me open up a bit and surprised mostly when I was in school. I was never a talkative person and using comedy kind of help open that wall of hiding and being afraid. I looked up to Letterman and also Jay Leno too for any comedy idea from their show and style.

And I can't forget another of Letterman's segments, Rupert Jee and his deli, who couldn't forget the things that Dave had him do. Oh my god, just think that Dave started that, not Ellen, even though she does it with celebrities.  


Letterman isn't just a late night hose or a television personality, he's an icon. With Leno gone (one of my favorites too) that only left Letterman to be the top guy and only top guy America knows and understands. With the Jimmys and Colberts and all, there's no one that's quite like Dave and there will probably never will be one ever.

That one or many things that I would take from watching Letterman is that he's one of the best communicators on television. He's such a great interviewer, asking the hard questions, the questions that are the most interesting and questions about his guests life and work. That what makes Dave great. 

Not to mention that when something bad has happen in the world like 9/11, Dave was there to give us some prospective of this tragic event. He's like our father figure.

And not forgetting that he created "Late Night" on NBC. He changed the landscape of late night television, creating that was opposite of what Carson's Tonight Show was then. Doing stupid and silly stuff was and still is smart, given way to three host of the franchise: Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers.

Now that time is running ever so closure, truly it's an end of an era on late night.  I was too young when Carson left, I cried when Leno left for the second time and now this could be another tear-jerking night. 

The Foo Foo Fighters will be the show's last musical guest. I have a feeling that somehow the Top Ten List will be of Letterman's close celebrity friends with a musical twist. The one thing I wish might happen but it would be a long, long, long shot that near the end after Letterman gives his final goodbye that his once best friend Jay Leno comes out, they shake hands and hug each other and Jay says to Dave, "Ready?" And they walkout as the two late night knights that they are. 

As I said, that a very long shot. 


Thanks Dave, your comedy has helped me through the rough times and the good times. A real showmanship, a comedian, a TV personality, a icon.  No other words can describe losing him expect, Thanks Dave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment