Friday, June 5, 2015

Jurassic World: Thoughts Before Seeing The Film


We're just a week away til the release of the fourth installment in the Jurassic Park franchise: Jurassic World. Let me just say that Jurassic Park is literally my favorite movie and book of all time and with the new movie coming out I thought I write a bit of a my retrospective of the franchise.

Of course, Jurassic Park was release back in 1990 when author Michael Crichton had an idea of bring back dinosaurs with DNA.

The idea was mind-blowing and when Steven Spielberg heard of the idea from Crichton when they were writing the first draft of a film that they were going to do called ER (soon turned into a hit and legendary TV series). Spielberg stopped ER and moved towards Dinosaurs and DNA concept.

Soon in 1993, Jurassic Park was made and it became the highest grossing movie of all time until Titanic came and then Avatar came and bump it down to third. The film literally changed the game of film making with the  computer animation of the dinosaurs that looked so real. I assuming that when folks saw it that they wet their pants of something like that when they saw the T-Rex come out of it's play pin.


I never saw the film in theaters. I was a bit too young to see it. But it was later when my grandfather rented the movie and had me and my grandmother watch, I was like mind blown and addicted to it. And by the way, I didn't put two and two together until later that Michael Crichton was the guy who created ER and Jurassic Park.

I was interested in dinosaurs after that, but of course a teacher I had in grade school, who happens to dress up like Miss. Frizzle, had told us that those dinosaurs didn't live in the Jurassic era. I didn't care, it was still the greatest movie and story I've ever seen.

Later after Jurassic Park, the fans demanded a sequel. Boy, sequels were a thing and even still to this day I believe. Even Spielberg wanted to do a sequel too and Crichton wrote the book sequel called The Lost World: Jurassic Park.


The book was amazing. It's just like The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle's version. And in 1997, the sequel to the film was released and it was a big success.

There might be some that didn't like it or thought it took a bit away. But hell, I thought it was great and it was the first Jurassic Park film that I got to see instead of waiting for it on VHS. Yes, VHS was a thing back then and in my opinion it still is. I still have a VHS player to this day.

Now of course, fans want more and so does Universal Pictures too. I don't blame them that this is the biggest film franchise until Furious series came about. But soon Jurassic Park III came and it was okay. I didn't see it when it came out.

 I did see it years ago when it was on television. I liked it, it had my favorite character Dr. Alan Grant in it. But I think that a search and rescue was a bit out there.

But now here we are 14 years after Jurassic Park III, the park is finally open in Jurassic World. I think that from the trailer it looks freakin amazing! And I'm a bit glad that Spielberg had taken sometime to figure out what to do with this story. I really hope that he had Crichton in his thoughts because it's his creation and I really don't want anything bad to happen with anything he created. Hell, Crichton helped changed the game of medical dramas.



The story concept looks great from what I've read. The park is finally open and when things go well enough. Of course, business wants to do more to bring people back, so they make a hybrid dinosaurs and well, as Ian Malcolm would say chaos rules all.

I literally can't wait to see it next week (June 12th). I'm still debating if I should go see it in just IMAX or IMAX 3D. I saw the trailer in 3D IMAX when seeing The Avengers Age of Ultron and as I told my brother with a shocked look on my face, "Holy F**k! We have to see this in 3D."

Jurassic Park is literally my all time favorite movie. It has adventures, great characters, a great story and just enough scariness to scare me and plus dinosaurs. And I can't forget to mention but it's also got the greatest soundtrack and theme song in movie history.

John Williams is a music iconic genius. The theme has made me cry but also got me on the edge of my seat in certain scenes. He knows what to do in a movie and he's been part of Spielberg's film career for a long time but in this new version, he isn't but they are honoring the themes.

Jurassic World premieres in theaters everywhere on June 12th.


No comments:

Post a Comment