Friday, July 10, 2015

"Chicago"




I was never much into musicals until I've seen them while watching comedy sketches. For the hit musical "Chicago" it never made sense to me at the time, even when I saw it on television or VHS. But when I saw it again years later,  I really enjoyed it and understood as well.

The theme to the musical film "Chicago" shown many different themes and yet it all takes place in the city of Chicago. One of the themes I think that's in this story is criminalize. We see how Roxie shoots a guy just to get in bed with and thinking that she was going to finally be ready to make as a show star even though she wasn't the only girl who did that kind of thing, as we see a whole line jail cell of women who did about the same thing.

Another is frame, there's another word for it....ambition perhaps. When Richard Gere's character tries to support the women that caused a rally interesting crime to him that he could sink his teeth into and get the press.

I think that if I was going to talk about the set up the stage for the show, I would want it to be in a proscenium stage. I think that with a stage like this it gives a better way for the audience to see and the cast to change each scene as the show goes on. I think that maybe the good way of having this kind of stage is for the actors to get in and get out and that the audience can see the faces of the actors.

I think that maybe some of the disadvengates is that the stage might be a little higher for the audience that are seating in the front row and that for those who are seating all the way in the e back they might not see very well on what's going on in the story.

Queen Latifith, I think, gave a really good performance in the film. I thought that her physical and vocal choices were something that she has had and that this role for her as Mama was perfect for her. In the scene when she was introduced as Roxie was in her jail cell or the first night that I thought she really took off.

Her character made sense in a way for a name like "Mama" I think would make a perfect sense that she shows her affection for those girls that want to get some attention, a big of a hustle and flow kind of thing. And I thought that her performance singing "When You're a Good Mama" was amazing. Her voice really stood out in that scene. Also not to mention that for her character to show feelings in her performance in that number was believable and that it was her voice that really got me saying "wow!"

Give it to Richard Gere, who I thought was outstanding in his role as Billy Flynn the lawyer. I really couldn't tell if he had emotions for his character. It seemed fake just for the glamour and press he likes to eat up when taking the hot new criminal case. I thought that he had a really good comedic style, talked fast and snag.

His performance singing in the film was good. I really didn't know that he could sing, but maybe that is all ethical stuff that helped him out, who knows? I really enjoyed his number" Movie Doll" and when he tap danced during that scene when he was thinking of a way to get out when Velma revealed Roxie's diary in court. His dancing was really good and to add that Gere seem to retained his character after we first see him in the film.

Overall I thought the film version of "Chicago" was very good. There were some parts that I didn't quite like and some that I did enjoy. I like musicals and this one goes to the top of my list. I could see why it won Best Picture" at the Oscars that following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment