Sunday, July 12, 2015

Reduce Episodes of TV Series isn't that Bad.


I love television, period. I love tuning in each week to one of my favorite shows from Chicago Fire to The Big Bang Theory  and etc. I'm use to the standard 22 to 24 regular episodes of comedies and dramas but in recent years with cable networks and online streaming that reducing episodes may seem a really great idea.

I've been watching television since I could remember and I'm 26 years old so you do the math. I believe that in recent times that a full 22-24 episode season is still great. But now with a full season like that it does get a bit tiresome just tuning in week after week and yeah there are times when a rerun will come on, but that's what full seasons bring.

Now a days, with cable and online streaming, a series can go from 10 to 13 episodes. If you take a show like "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," "Breaking Bad," & "Game of Thrones" those shows tell great stories in one good season. And the best part is that after the season is over, it leaves you wanting more. Isn't that what television is all about, leaving you wanting more.

If you take a look at the final seasons of "30 Rock,"  "Parenthood" and "Parks and Recreations" there is no doubt that their final seasons were their best season by far. A short season focus on the characters and the stories that they are focusing on.

Hell, we're living now in reboot/revile era now with former shows returning from "24," "Heroes: Reborn," "The X-Files" and even "Coach.' It's a great idea and probably there will be more reboots down the road from maybe "Veronica Mars" and "Will & Grace"? I know there's been word about a "Law & Order" coming back as well with a short season.

There could be episodes that are amazing and awesome but there could be episodes that seems like a downer and doesn't wow us at all.

All I'm saying that is I think a short 13 episode season for a series isn't that bad at all. The series runs it's 13 episode course and than there might be another series that gets your attention. I could use the free time away from the television screen once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment