Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Long and Dwindling: Labor Day review




I can call it the longest holiday I would ever have to encounter for this story.

With the summer coming to an end and the Labor Day weekend approaching, when a thirteen year old Henry and his emotional mother encounters a wounded stranger. That stranger happens to have a secret that will change both their lives when they show him kindness.

The book is a coming of age novel that deals with life changes in my opinion.

"Labor Day" by Joyce Maynard is a book that I only enjoyed half way through reading it and then it just got boring from then on. I just thought that after having Frank (the stranger) staying at the house over the holiday weekend that things just got dull and soapy for me.

I couldn't keep my eyes open when I'm trying to finish it. And the ending was somewhat disappointing. I had thought that things could go the wrong way but it really didn't, like that I thought that there could have been a standout shootout with Frank and the cops.

I've seen the film version after I read the novel and thought that it was a bit better than what I could see and understand from what the book was telling. And plus Kate Winslet stars in the film and anything with Winslet starring in, I'm seeing it. Heck, I saw The Reader before reading the novel.

If you like a novel that's of coming of age and deals will into family and relationship drama than this might be the book for you. I think that this would be a book to read during the summer weekend getaways.

Overall, I give this novel a 5/10.

"Labor Day" is not the worst book I have read and it surely isn't one of the best ones. But I do put it on my long, long list of books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment