Saturday, October 17, 2015

Battles and Flashbacks: Doctor Who "The Girl Who Died"




At first I didn't like it but more and more later on I finally got into it.

The Doctor and Clara stop into a village of vikings, something that the Doctor doesn't want to get into with them. Showing his sonic sunglasses to scare them off, one member takes them off and breaks them. (NNNOOOOO!!!!!)

They're force to come in the village when the warrior leader Odin speaks from the clouds and takes all of their vikings warriors and that includes Clara and Ashildr, who's played by Maisie Williams. They've been sent into a room where it kills the vikings. But only Clara and Ashildr made it through and talked to Odin. Everything was good until Ashildr engaged in a war between her village and his warriors.

That leads to the Doctor trying to get these villagers how to battle. It didn't look good if these guys were going up against Odin and his guys. I do love how the Doctor gave every member a name from Limpy, Chuckles, Heidi and Led Zeppelin.

But an idea come to him that doesn't have to have the villagers to fight. So they plan to have a party and set a trap and use their eels to give them a charge. Destroying one of the warrior's machine and getting the helmet, the Doctor put in on Ashildr and gave a scare to Odin that would make him blush  and embarrass.

After sending Odin and his guys away, Ashildr dies after taking off the helmet. The Doctor is never happy when even if they win and one person dies. But soon he gets a reflection flashback that he knows why the face that we're seeing is him. Apparently, it was in the episode "The Fires of Pompeii " when Peter Capaldi first appeared on the show. And shows Donna as well.

The Doctor remembers and goes back and gives Ashildr a medical medal on her forehead and gave her the ability of not die.

The Doctor leaves and regrets to what he had done. That now instead of making a splash, he's making waves across the universe.

I enjoyed the episode halfway through. I love the first scene but with the vikings and such didn't quite get me. I did love how the Doctor trying to train these folks for battle. I thought that was hilarious. I'll be honest I didn't know who Maisie Williams was or haven't seen Game of Thrones. But I thought that she was very good and after this episode I'm really excited t see what she's doing in part two of next week's episode.

Overall, I give this episode a 7/10.

You can catch Doctor Who Saturday nights at 9/8c on BBC America.


No comments:

Post a Comment