Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Umbrella Academy Season 1

The Umbrella Academy (TV series) - Wikipedia

After learning the date for Season Two of The Umbrella Academy, I have finally watched the first season of the comic book series. Here are my thoughts.

It's been over a year since the first season of Netflix's comic book series The Umbrella Academy debuted, and while it's been on my must-see list to watch, I have finally just finished watching it this week and loved every episode. Yes, I was a fool not to watch this when it first debuted, as it's the one issue for me with binge-watching.

I love the first season of The Umbrella Academy as it was so well written, with such in-depth characters that have a little resemblance to X-Men, but better. The season deals with the team assembling after learning about the death of their adopted father. While reunited, the team deals with issues of their own, but when a team member returns from the future to learn of the apocalypse to happen in a few days.

There are many twists and turns as we watch a lot of backstories that don't mess up anything with the story and characters. But the one thing about this series with a strong theme is family. Superhero may be one thing, but this series is about family.

This ensemble cast gives such a strong performance for each of their characters. Aidan Gallagher, playing Number Five, was one of the most fun and exciting characters in this series. Robert Sheehan gave one of the best performances of the character, as he showed a lot of character growth. Also, Sheehan's Klaus was one of my favorite characters. But it was Ellen Page as Vayna/Number Seven stole season one with her performance, still leaving me thinking about her character and what comes next.

That also implies how the season ended, as the apocalypse was still coming to the team after saving Vayna, joined hands with Number Five to time travel. What happens next, I'm dying to see. I will not make the same mistake I did a year ago by waiting over a year to watch the first season. When July 31st comes, I'll be tuning in to Netflix to watch it.

Overall, I give this season of The Umbrella Academy a 9/10. You can now catch The Umbrella Academy's first season on Netflix, with Season 2 coming on July 31st.


No comments:

Post a Comment