Saturday, September 17, 2022

From Battling Monsters to Running a Restaurant: What I Watch this Summer

 


As the summer television season ends, the fall television season begins this Monday. So many shows aired over the summer that I thought I would list what I had watched this summer. 




Stranger Things Season 4:

I had to first talk about the biggest summer event with the fourth season of Stranger Things. The hype for the season is real regarding the excitement, emotions, and thrills on the edge of your seat. And it just edges past season three. 

And while the cast gives excellent performances, Sadie Sink gives the MVP of the season with such a powerful storyline in her character, Max. And Jamie Campbell Bower as Vecna was one of the series's most memorable villains. 

While the ending may have some people split, I thought it was an excellent season wrap-up that left some questions unanswered (like whether or not Max is dead), but it does leave a very cool cliffhanger that will carry on to the final season. Overall, I give this season a 9/10.


The Bear:

This comedy-drama series starring Jeremy Allen White is one of the best new series coming out of Hulu (along with The Old Man). White plays an award-winning chef, Carmen, who returns to his hometown in Chicago to help run his late brother's failing Italian beef sandwich restaurant. 

Along with some family and workplace drama, the one thing that makes the series great is the characters and the rich development we see in the first season's eight episodes. Not to mention understanding the fast pace of what it's like working in a fast food joint. White's performance is outstanding, and I think he will be recognized during award seasons next year. 

Overall,  I give this season a 9/10.



Ms. Marvel/SheHulk:

I'll be honest; I haven't been a fan of the MCU series on Disney+. Wandavision wasn't for me, The Flacon and Winter Solider missed the mark, Loki was a surprise hit, What If...? was fine, Hawkeye was a disappointment, Moon Knight was excellent so that leaves with Ms. Marvel and She/Hulk. 

Ms. Marvel was a joyful viewing experience. Iman Vellani, as Kamala/ Ms. Marvel, is brilliant, fun, and an inspiration. While the "villain" might not have been the best, the show's strength comes from character development, storytelling, and historical culture. 



Meanwhile, She/Hulk: Attorney at Law has been fun and enjoyable for the first five episodes. Tatiana Maslany is one of the best casting choices so far for the MCU. Maslany gives such a brilliant, breaking-the-fourth-wall performance as Jennifer Walters, who gives such inspiration from the Ally McBeal TV series. 

I give Ms. Marvel an 8/10, and She/Hulk an 8.5/10. 


The Umbrella Academy Season 3:

Probably one of my top two anticipated return series this summer, the return of The Umbrella Academy did not disappoint. It just up the level of entertainment and helped fill the fold from having to wait for part two of Stranger Things Season 4. 

Elliot Page gives such an outstanding performance as Viktor Hargreeves, who tries to balance being a leader and fixing a problem that hits home. And while the episodes filled stuff at times, it kept me on the edge of my seat til the final episode, which was so good. And I'm glad that Netflix has given the series the last season to wrap up because I don't think that ending was satisfying. 

Overall, I give this season a 9/10.


The Old Man Season 1:

What do you get when you assemble Jeff Bridges, John Lithgow, and Amy Brenneman? You get one of the most character-driven TV series in The Old Man on Hulu. 

Bridges plays Dan Chase, a former CIA operative who's been hiding for thirty years til he kills an intruder who forces him to run and hide. Lithgow plays FBI Assistant Director Harold Harper, who called to bring in Chase but also worked with him thirty years ago during an assessment that didn't go well. While it might be a game of cat and mouse between old friends, it goes way deeper. Brenneman plays Zoe McDonald, who meets Chase as he is renting her place. The two seem to fall in love until things get dicey for Chase. 

Man, I love the writing and the performances in this series. Bridges and Lithgow give outstanding performances, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get nominations for Emmys next year. Overall, I give this season a 9/10.


So, this summer has kept me busy with such good television shows. I know there are more than what I have listed. What have you watched this summer? Was there a show that I had missed out on? Leave a comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment