Friday, August 16, 2024

TV Corner's 2024 Summer TV Binge List, Part 1

 


As the new school year kicks off and the fall season is almost here, I thought I would share my list of TV shows I watched this summer (I've been doing this for the past two years). 

I've watched a lot of shows this summer. Some felt overstuffed, exciting, romantic, and action-packed, and I even regretted watching them. So here's part one of my 2024 summer TV binge list. 

Upload, Season 1-3

One of the most anticipated shows on my list was one that I would highly recommend to those who haven't seen it. The Amazon Prime series takes place in 2033, and humans can "upload" themselves into a virtual afterlife of their choice, where they can communicate with their loved ones whenever they want. 

While the concept is interesting, it's mostly the romantic comedy-drama that plays to the two main characters (played by Robbie Amell (Arrow) and Andy Allo (Chicago Fire) that has drawn me in. You can see these two build up to being close friends and quickly realize that they are meant to be together, and that's what it does for the first three seasons. It also asks the human side of the question of whether only wealthy people should have access to this kind of technology.  

I'm excited to see the final season, its worth, and how it will end. Overall, I give this series 9/10.

The Bear, Season 3

For the past two seasons, I have loved this series and have repeated to others (whether at work, home or while walking at the grocery store) that this is one of the best shows in the last few years (granted, whether it's a comedy or drama, I'm not either to discuss that). 

After watching the third season of the hit Hulu series, it becomes clear that their "sophomore slump" has shown. But I will say that there has been some really great writing and performances from the supporting cast, which have really shown in episodes like "Next," "Napkins," and "Ice Chips," which are some of my favorite episodes of the season. 

The issue with this season is that it felt too overstuffed with so much (mainly with guest stars). I know that "Fishes" was the biggest highlight of Season Two, but we don't need many guest cameos (especially in the season finale).

Overall, I give Season Three an 8/10.

Fallout, Season 1

Whether you hate it or love it, Amazon Prime's Fallout (another video game adaptation TV series) has been a surprise for me to enjoy (which I didn't think I would). It took me a while to get into it, but after watching the first few episodes, I realized this series is fun and has outstanding action and drama. The casting in this series is superb to the T, with Ella Purnell, Aaron Moten, and Walton Goggins being the series stars. 

This WWII post-apocalyptic Western series dives into family, loyalty, and even political themes, which isn't what most video games are about? In that finale, once Purnell's character learns that her father (played by Kyle MacLachlan) was part of the reason for all of this to have happened and teams up with Goggin's Ghoul to stop her dad (for the next season), has put my excitement level to a 9. Plus, with Johnathan Nolan being a part of this series, WBD needs to bring back Westworld for the final season. 

Overall, I give season one a 9/10.

The Veil, Mini-Series

What do you get when you have Elisabeth Moss in a spy thriller? You get a kick-ass mini-series! Hulu's The Veil is a thriller that dives between two women, MI6 agent Imogen Salter and ISIS suspect Adilah El Idrissi (played by Moss and Yumna Marwan), who travel from Istanbul to London, playing a deadly game of truth and lies that have the potential to kill thousands in the US. 

Now, while this six-episode mini-series has its issues (like horrible written supporting characters; for example, Josh Charles was someone I really didn't care about even if his character was a CIA agent), do you know what? I don't care because this was such a fantastic series to watch, with performances from Moss and Marwan that kept me interested in their on-screen chemistry. 

Plus, who didn't love seeing Moss kicking some ass in those action scenes? I loved Moss' character, and while the ending opened the door for more stories, I'm hoping for more. If there will be more Shogun, why not more of The Veil? 

I give this an 8.5/10.

The Acolyte, Season 1

After watching The Acolyte, I might have given up on these Star Wars series. The latest Star Wars series is one that I really regret watching the eight episodes and asking myself, "What the hell?" 

The first episode had some promise as it felt like a crime series, but instead, it dealt with the same themes and stories as previous Star Wars shows. I'm tired of watching all these Jedis doing the wrong things from the past and suffering the consequences of those actions. 

While the story and writing weren't up to par, the casting and performances were pretty much keeping me going from Lee Jung-Jae (Squid Games) as Sol and even Manny Jacinto (The Good Place) was surprisingly good as The Stranger trying to guide Oshia and Mae (both played by Amandla Stenberg) go against the Jedi.

Overall, I give this series a 6.5/10. 

Well, that's part one of my 2024 summer TV binge list. What shows have you watched this summer? Have you seen some of these shows, and if so, what do you think? Leave a comment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment