Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Not Going Out Series 3 Review: The Season Where Lee and Lucy Really Find Their Groove


Lee is falling for Lucy, Tim is making terrible decisions, and somehow, everything keeps getting worse—yep, Not Going Out has officially found its groove. Here’s my review of Season 3.

Okay, after making my way through Series 3 of Not Going Out, I think I’ve found my favorite season so far. I know I’ve still got a lot of ground to cover before Series 15 arrives, but there’s something about this season that really clicked for me. The writing feels sharper, the characters are more fully developed, and, most importantly, the chemistry between everyone has finally found its groove. And then there’s Lee and Lucy. Their dynamic is absolutely outstanding. I genuinely can’t get enough of these two, especially when Lee’s increasingly ridiculous attempts to win Lucy’s affection send everyone into some wonderfully chaotic situations.

Series 3 feels like the point where Not Going Out really became the sitcom it wanted to be. Lee’s schemes, Tim’s lovable stupidity, Lucy’s attempts to keep everyone under control, Daisy becoming a regular, and Barbara’s wonderfully chaotic appearances all work together beautifully. Whether it’s Lee panicking when Lucy thinks she’s pregnant in “Pregnant,” Lee and Tim competing to write Lucy’s speech in “Speech,” or Tim accidentally taking steroids and finding himself in a fight with an aggressive neighbor in “Neighbor,” the comedy consistently lands because we know these characters so well. “Winner” is another standout, especially as Lee’s attempt to look compassionate spirals into one of his classic lies.

And then there’s the Christmas special, “Absent Father Christmas,” which adds an unexpected emotional layer to the season. Lee’s unreliable father, Frank, shows up, forcing Lee to confront some old feelings, while Lucy tries to keep the peace. Of course, the episode still delivers plenty of laughs, but that final mistletoe kiss between Lee and Lucy is exactly the kind of payoff I’ve been waiting for. The finale also delivers the usual Not Going Out chaos when Lucy’s plan to marry an Eastern European mechanic so he can remain in the country goes spectacularly wrong, leading to Barbara unexpectedly becoming the bride instead.

What I love most about Series 3 is that the show doesn’t just rely on jokes. The characters have genuine chemistry, the relationships are becoming more interesting, and the ridiculous situations actually feel funnier because we know these people so well. Lee Mack and Sally Bretton are especially fantastic together, and watching Lee and Lucy slowly circle around their feelings for each other has become one of my favorite parts of the series.

Series 3 is funny, chaotic, surprisingly heartfelt, and, for me, the season where Not Going Out really finds its identity. If this is the show hitting its stride, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Now I’ve just got, you know… 12 more series to catch up on before Series 15. Overall, I give Season 3 a 9.5/10.

Have you watched Series 3 of Not Going Out? What’s your favorite episode or Lee-and-Lucy moment? Let me know in the comments!

You can catch Not Going Out on YouTube, Pluto TV, and BritBox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment