Sometimes the best TV discoveries happen completely by accident.
I stumbled across Not Going Out completely by accident. I came across it in a Top 10 video, decided to give it a try, and after watching the first two seasons, I was pretty much hooked. What surprised me most is that this British sitcom has been around for 20 years, because somehow I had completely missed it. After two seasons, I can already understand why it has lasted so long.
The first season introduces Lee (Lee Mack), a lazy, unmotivated guy from Lancashire who finds himself living in a luxury London flat with Kate (Megan Dodds), his best friend Tim's (Tim Vine) American ex-girlfriend. Lee's biggest problem isn't finding a job—it's trying to convince Kate that he's responsible enough to keep living there. Of course, there's also the small matter of Lee being completely attracted to Kate, which creates plenty of awkward situations and misunderstandings. The first season has that classic sitcom setup where two people clearly have chemistry but absolutely refuse to do anything about it. When Kate eventually decides to return to America, it leaves Lee right back where he started.
Season 2 changes the formula in a way that ultimately makes the series even more interesting. Kate is gone, and the flat is now owned by Tim's younger sister, Lucy (Sally Bretton), who becomes Lee's new landlady. Lee immediately develops a crush on her, creating a new version of the show's central dynamic. Lucy is sensible, career-minded, and responsible, while Lee is...well, Lee. His latest attempt at employment as an ice-cream truck driver doesn't exactly help his case. Their chemistry gives the series a different energy, and I can see why Lucy became such an important part of the show's long-term identity.
The supporting cast is just as funny. Tim Vine is hilarious as the neurotic, pun-loving Tim, while Sally Bretton brings a classic sitcom sensibility to Lucy that reminded me of the old-school roommates-meets-The Honeymooners style of comedy. Then there's Miranda Hart's Barbara, whose sarcastic, chaotic personality immediately adds another layer, and Katy Wix's Daisy, whose spectacularly clueless personality makes her scenes with Tim even better. Even the show's recurring family dynamics begin taking shape during the Christmas special, setting up the larger ensemble that would become such an important part of the series.
But the biggest reason Not Going Out works is Lee Mack. His delivery, timing, facial expressions, and ability to turn even the simplest situation into a ridiculous argument make him incredibly easy to watch. The jokes come fast, the chemistry between the cast is terrific, and even the theme song is ridiculously catchy. It's the kind of sitcom where you can sit down intending to watch one episode and suddenly realize you've watched five.
After two seasons, Not Going Out already feels like one of those classic British sitcoms I somehow should have discovered years ago. It's silly, warm, fast-paced, and packed with the kind of character-driven comedy that doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to be funny. And considering the show has been going for two decades, I have a feeling I've got a lot more catching up to do.
Not Going Out is exactly the kind of accidental TV discovery I love. If you enjoy classic British sitcoms, quick-fire jokes, awkward relationships, and characters who constantly make their own problems worse, this one absolutely deserves a spot on your watchlist. Overall, I give the first two seasons a 9/10.
Have you watched Not Going Out? Are you a fan? Leave a comment.
You can stream Not Going Out available on YouTube, Pluto TV, and BritBox.




No comments:
Post a Comment